- Do you love using your logical mind to solve problems?
- Do you enjoy or have an interest in coding and software programming?
- Do you want to develop apps and digital services that serve millions of people round the globe?
- Do you want to learn and earn at the same time and have an amazing experience at the BBC and with University of Glasgow.
Based in Glasgow with BBC Scotland and Design + Engineering teams, you’ll get to work at the heart of our digital product teams at the BBC, all while studying for a degree apprenticeship at Glasgow University.
You will complete both off-the-job and on-the-job training. You’ll study for a bachelor’s degree (Hons) with tailored modules such as:
- How to learn new software and systems programming languages
- Foundations of Professional Software Engineering Practices
- Practical Algorithms
- Testing and Software Improvement
- Web Application Systems
- Computer Architecture and Network Systems
- Data Storage and Retrieval
- User Interaction
- BSc Major Project
Through a series of university taught modules and industrial experience we will prepare you as a new Software Engineer for an internet-fit BBC.
The Ideal Candidate
You will be someone who naturally wants to be a hands-on Software Engineer and will feel comfortable developing over the course of the scheme to work with software languages, software frameworks, cloud computing and associated systems.
We’re not looking for you to come as a ready-made Software Engineer– we just want you to have an ambition and determination to succeed.
Throughout the application process we’ll be asking for evidence that shows your passion and ability for this technology-based role. You need to be a good communicator and have the ability to develop to be effective in the working environment with technical or non-technical people.
Throughout the application process, we will be assessing the following:
- Logical Problem Solving
- Awareness or understanding of Software Programming
- Practical application
- Time Management
As this is a degree apprenticeship we need strong academic performance. Candidates with Scottish qualifications will need 4 x Highers at B or above (or Advanced Highers) which must include Maths and two Sciences including Computing.
Candidates outside of Scotland will need to show equivalent qualifications of 3 x A Levels at B or above which must include Maths and at least one Science.
We also accept B or above in HNCs and HNDs in the subjects listed below, but you must have successfully completed the Maths Calculus Module as part of the qualification
- Software Development
- Computer Games Development
A minimum GCSE or Standard Grades qualifications in Maths and English at A-C or equivalent is also mandated.
You will have interest and confidence to develop your working knowledge and skills in software programming, algorithms and cloud computing.
To be eligible for this scheme, you will need to have the right to work in the UK. You also need to be over 18 at time of starting in September 2021.
What we’re offering
- A salary of £14,400 per year (pro-rated) followed by an annual increase.
- 25 days holiday a year. As well as national bank holidays, you’ll also get an extra day-off between Christmas and New Year.
- Industry training delivered by the BBC Academy from specialists and senior BBC technical staff.
- Completion of Bachelors Degree (Hons) delivered by the University of Glasgow
Start Date: September 2021
Typical roles following the scheme: Software Engineer
Click here to find out more and apply: UofG Software Engineering Graduate Apprenticeship with the BBC