South Lanarkshire Council is committed to looking after people and meeting as many of their needs as possible. So, it’s natural that we are particularly focused on helping people find jobs and build careers.
Roads and Transportation is one of five services within Community and Enterprise Resources and is responsible for a wide range of services, including the following:-
Maintaining roads, footpaths, and street lighting
Response service dealing with emergencies
Road and Bridge Design
Geotechnical & Traffic Engineering
Flood Prevention, Road Safety & Parking
Transportation and Public Transport
Becoming a Modern Apprentice will give you the opportunity to develop a career within Community and Enterprise Resources, and be trained to the appropriate National Standard through off and on the job training and experience.
Roads and Transportation Services are looking for candidates who can demonstrate commitment to their own learning and enthusiasm for building a career as a Modern Apprentice Road Operative and we have vacancies in the following Depots:-
Hawbank Road, East Kilbride
What do we look for?
These opportunities are for trainees and therefore do not require you to have any experience in this field, what we do require is:
- Evidence of recent learning experiences
- An understanding of the role of Road Operative
- An understanding of the importance of Health and Safety
- An understanding of the benefits of effective team work
- And a willing to learn and adapt to the working and training environment
These vacancies are restricted to applicants who have recently attended a South Lanarkshire Council High School and/or live in the South Lanarkshire Area. You must be 16 years of age by 31/12/2021 and no older than 19 years of age by 09/03/2022.
South Lanarkshire Council and Skills Development Scotland recognise that disabled people and those who are care experienced can face challenges on their career journey. So, if you are disabled or care experienced and aged between 20 to 29 years of age by 19/03/2021, you may be eligible to apply if you meet the rest of the essential criteria.
Disabled candidates must be able to meet the requirements of the intrinsic criteria (refer to job profile). Care experienced means you are or were formally looked after by a local authority, in the family home (with support from social services or a social worker) or elsewhere, for example, in foster care, residential/secure care, or kinship care (with family friends or relatives).
At South Lanarkshire Council we are ambitious about diversity and inclusion and want our organisation to reflect the people of South Lanarkshire. We welcome applications from everyone who meets the criteria. However, as we do not have many disabled, care experienced, or ethnic minority employees, we would particularly welcome applications from these groups.
All correspondence in relation to your application will be sent to the e-mail address that you used when submitting your application, therefore it is important that you check your inbox regularly so that you don’t miss any important emails from us. If you require any further assistance relating to the application process then please e-mail us at ModernApprentice@Southlanarkshire.gov.uk.
All interviews will be held via Microsoft Teams w/c 10th January 2022, please make sure you are available and that you also check your email inbox for important messages as re-scheduling will not be possible.
South Lanarkshire Council is an Equal Opportunities employer and encourages applications from all members of the community. As a user of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum competency/behaviour requirements for the position.
Please Apply online – CLICK HERE
All correspondence will be via your email address registered with myjobscotland.
- Applications can only be made on-line via the myjobscotland.gov.uk website.
- We can only accept one application and you can only apply for one depot.
- You must be 16 years of age by 31/12/2021 and must be no older than 19 years of age by 09/03/2022. Or aged between 20 and 29 if you are disabled or care experienced.
- You must have attended a South Lanarkshire Council High School and/or live in the South Lanarkshire Area.
- These posts are available on a Fixed Term Contract for a 2-year Apprenticeship
For more information or if you want this information in a different format or language, please e-mail us at ModernApprentice@Southlanarkshire.gov.uk.
• Learn and contribute to team working methods and all aspects of road maintenance and construction including patching, surfacing, paving, kerbing, drainage, temporary traffic management including erecting and removing signs, barriers and cones to appropriate specifications. As well as learning to contribute to the Council’s statutory requirements in relation to gritting, snow clearing, flood prevention and measurements for safe passage on the road network
• Observe and comply with Health & Safety guidelines and code of conduct policies
• Complete all relevant course work to achieve a Level 2 Modern Apprenticeship in Road Building and Maintenance
• Learn to operate and use specialist plant and vehicles e.g. road breakers, road saw, masonary saw and compressors. (if appropriate)
• Carry out all work and associated duties according to agreed timescales, and to agreed quality specifications and productivity levels.
• Attend all relevant training courses and quarterly reviews as directed.