Craft Modern Apprenticeship Programme 2020
South Lanarkshire Council is committed to looking after people and meeting as many of their needs as possible. So, it’s natural that we are particularly focused on helping people find jobs and build careers.
Becoming a Craft Modern Apprentice will give you the opportunity to develop a career within Housing and Technical Resources and be trained to the appropriate National Standard through college attendance and on the job training and experience.
We offer a range of apprenticeships within Housing and Technical Resources, but overall, we are looking for people who can demonstrate commitment to their own learning and enthusiasm for building a career within our Building Services Teams in the following disciplines:
Joiner, Electrician, Plasterer, Slater, Plumber, Domestic Heating Engineer & Scaffolder
Property Services is one of three services within Housing and Technical Resources, and is responsible for a wide range of services, including the following:
- Property advice services
- Maintenance services
- Design services
- Improvement services
As an apprentice you may be involved in learning to upgrade or replace windows or doors or carry out improvements to the fabric of buildings across refurbishments, new builds, listed buildings, schools, leisure complexes and maintaining community properties.
What do we look for?
These opportunities are for trainees and therefore do not require you to have any experience in your chosen trade. What we do require is:
- Evidence of recent learning experiences
- An understanding of your chosen trade
- An understanding of the importance of Health and Safety
- An understanding of the benefits of effective teamwork and customer care principles
- A willingness to learn and adapt to the working and college environment
These vacancies are restricted to applicants who have recently attended a South Lanarkshire Council School and/or live in the South Lanarkshire Area. You must be 16 years of age by 25/09/2020 and no older than 19 years of age by 14/08/2020.
South Lanarkshire Council and Skills Development Scotland recognise that disabled people and those who are care experienced can face challenges on their career journey. So, if you are disabled or care experienced and aged between 20 to 29 years of age by 14/08/2020, you may be eligible to apply if you meet the rest of the essential criteria.
Care experienced means you are or were formally looked after by a local authority, in the family home (with support from social services or a social worker) or elsewhere, for example, in foster care, residential/secure care, or kinship care (with family friends or relatives).
At South Lanarkshire Council we are ambitious about diversity and inclusion and want our organisation to reflect the people of South Lanarkshire. We welcome applications from everyone who meets the criteria. However, as we do not have many disabled, care experienced, or ethnic minority employees, we would particularly welcome applications from these groups.
The applications for the Craft Modern Apprenticeships programme will be available on the website from Wednesday 4th March 2020. The closing date for on-line applications is Wednesday 18th March 2020. (Please note this post automatically expires at midnight on this date and applications will not be accepted after this time).
All correspondence in relation to your application will be sent to the e-mail address that you used when submitting your application, therefore it is important that you check your inbox regularly so that you don’t miss any important emails from us. If you require any further assistance relating to the application process then please e-mail us at ModernApprentice@Southlanarkshire.gov.uk.
Part of the selection process requires you to complete and pass an assessment for your chosen trade.
- Applicants for the Electrician Apprenticeships will be required to complete the SECTT pre-apprenticeship assessment. The Electrical Assessment will be carried out during the week of Monday 30th March to Friday 3rd April (dates to be confirmed), if you wish to apply for this post you must ensure that you are available during this period as there will be no opportunity to re-schedule or resit the test.
- Applicants for Joiner, Plasterer, Slater & Scaffolder Apprenticeships will be required to complete the on-line Construction Skills Learning exercise.
You will receive an e-mail on Monday 23rd March 2020 notifying you of what you are required to do with regards to the assessment.
All interviews will be held on Tuesday 5th and Wednesday 6th May 2020, please make sure you are available and that you also check your email inbox for important messages as re-scheduling will not be possible.
- Applications can only be made on-line via the myjobscotland.gov.uk website.
- Applicants can only apply for one specific trade; multiple application forms will not be considered.
- You must be 16 years of age by 25/09/2020 and must be no older than 19 years of age by 14/08/2020. Or aged between 20 and 29 if you are disabled or care experienced.
- You must have attended a South Lanarkshire Council School and/or live in the South Lanarkshire Area.
- These posts are available on a Fixed Term Contract for a 4-year Apprenticeship
For more information or if you want this information in a different format or language, please e-mail us at ModernApprentice@Southlanarkshire.gov.uk.