Apprenticeship.scot are currently advertising a fantastic Graduate Level Apprenticeship opportunity as a Trainee Technical Support Engineer in Cyber Security.
This position is offered through Westica Communications Ltd, which is an independent UK digital telecommunications equipment manufacturer based in Glasgow, supplying products and services to many organisations in the Emergency Services, Power Utility, Government, Telecom and Oil and Gas sectors in the UK and overseas.
This will be delivered through a blended approach incorporating real working experience and university day release learning.
Reporting to the Technical Director, this is an exciting “hands on” technical role involving desk, lab and field-based activities with a high level of customer contact. As a trainee in the Westica engineering team, the Technical Support Engineer will be expected to learn how to contribute to the network design, build and maintain service that we offer our customers.
As part of your training and development within Westica Communications you will undertake the Graduate Apprenticeship BSc (Hons) Cyber Security at Glasgow Caledonian University commencing in October 2020.
During this apprenticeship you can expect to earn between £17,000 to £20,000 per year.
What will I learn?
Specific Duties of role:
• Become one of the company’s network design experts in customer network design, training, configurations, fault finding etc
• Setup and configure a wide range of communications equipment in the Westica factory and setup customer demonstration networks when required.
• Support customers by answering their technical questions via telephone, e-mail, or in person, and taking part in the company helpdesk rota.
• Travel to customer sites in both UK and overseas to troubleshoot problems, install and commission equipment and project manager install activities. This may require specific customer site training/security clearances for which training will be given.
• Carry out detailed network and RF planning using planning tools after training
• Work with the account team on pre-sales activities, tender responses, etc.
• Work with the account team to ongoing ensure customer satisfaction
What qualification or qualities are required?
You’ll have a head start in this vacancy if you’ve completed a Foundation Apprenticeship in a related field. We’ll need you to provide evidence of your qualification and show you gained the relevant skills from your placement
Entry onto the Graduate Apprenticeship BSc (Hons) Cyber Security at Glasgow Caledonian University is 4 Bs in your Highers (or equivalent), including maths
or computing. Or a College HNC or HND in Computing/Networking or Cyber Security.
• Interest in Technology especially networking and security
• Good communication skills
• Commitment to a 4 year development programme
• Motivated and enthusiastic behaviour
Ability to work as part of a close-knit team with personality and knowledge sufficient to build excellent rapport with technical customers
Current driving licence (or plan to get this in near future)
Click here to apply
Alternatively, you can ask your Pupil Support, Mr McCarthy or the Trinity High School Computing Dept for further details and/or advice.