Skills for Success – Learning Placements
*Deadline for Submissions extended*: Wednesday 06 June 2018 at 9.00 a.m.
Museums Galleries Scotland are delighted to introduce their Skills for Success Programme and have the support of the Heritage Lottery Fund to deliver this programme. Since 2011, Scotland’s national body for museum development have run vocational programmes to provide an alternative route of entry into the museums sector for non-graduates from diverse backgrounds.
The Skills for Success Programme has been designed as a learning programme to give 22 non-graduate trainees the skills and experience to have a successful museum career. Each participant will spend a year on placement at a host museum in venues across Scotland. Learners will undertake an SVQ3 Museums & Galleries Practice and a bespoke training programme consisting of 10 one day courses. Learners will also have a mentor who will work with them throughout the year to make the most of their experience and help them to prepare for next steps. Four of the opportunities are designed at a level for those with some supervisory or management experience.
All learners will experience all aspects of museum work, but each placement may have a focus in one or more specific areas.
Why be a part of Skills for Success?
- Be a part of a national programme which gives you the chance to explore a career that matches your interests, while receiving a tax-free £15,000 bursary
- Develop museum-specific and transferable skills while undertaking a nationally-recognised qualification – SVQ Level 3 in Museums & Galleries Practice
- Receive advice and support from professionals across Scotland helping to prepare you for your next steps
- Learn as part of a supportive group
- An opportunity to be creative
- Work in unique locations with passionate people
- 87% of our past trainees and interns have found employment in heritage after the programme